Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Vacation

We went to New Jersey on July 9th. The plane flight to Cincinnati was phenomenal, just perfect, except for Don's feeling of claustrophobia that he got when he sat down in his window seat. The way the plane curved around his head, the close proximity of the chair in front of him and all the people just really bothered him. He pulled out his Book of Mormon and read it and felt better after a little bit. I was so proud of him. It's hard to talk yourself out of something like that. The feeling returned when we entered our plane for the second leg of the journey but he worked through it again. We were so excited as we neared Philadelphia! We tried to see landmarks and it was fun.

When we landed we went to get our rental car. I had to sign for it and drive it. It turned out to be a 2010 Ford Fushion with around 4000 miles on it. A beautiful car! So, as Don directed me, I drove from the Philadelphia airport for the first time in my life. It was rush hour too and very congested! But we made it to our hotel just fine and after checking in went to a nearby diner for dinner! We were excited to hear the waitress' NJ accent. She was very sweet. Our dinner wasn't so hot but oh, well, we were starving so it was ok.

The next day we went to see my mother. It was so nice to see her in her new setting. She wasn't living there when we moved away. She's really happy there and has friends and things to do. It's a beautiful place, too. She was so happy to see us and we were happy to see her! We spent that day driving around Cherry Hill, visiting the Greenwood Cemetery where my father, brother, and grandparents are buried, going to see our old house on Queens Place, and just hanging out. After we took her home (she likes to get in early, she's 80, after all) Don and I went to PJ Houlihan's or whatever it's called. I was hoping to get some Green Pepper Soup for dinner but they didn't have it. No problem, we had a great dinner anyway!

On Sunday we drove up to Princeton. We were even excited to see the familiar sights on 295! We got there early so we took some time to drive around and see Ewing and Princeton. We visited our old house in Ewing. The neighborhood doesn't look great, but our old house on Misty Morn Lane still looked wonderful. The guy who bought it (Flavius Davis) has taken good care of it! Then we drove over to Princeton Ward. We arrived just as 2nd ward was getting out and saw tons of old friends, and then attended 1st ward where we were very warmly greeted! After that we went to Varsity for pizza because we were starving and we weren't expected at the Edwards' house until 6. Their pizza is still the best!

The Open House at Edwards was fabulous. So many people came, the food was great, and we had tons of fun. We didn't leave until 10 p.m. By then we were hungry again and tried to eat at Michael's Diner but they had closed so we went to the Princetonian Diner instead and they had great diner food.

On Monday we just hung out in the area, driving around and saw our old house in Highstown, and the old "haunted house" that was nearby. We got to go to Rita's Water Ice! I had a chocolate Italian Ice and Don a pineapple gelato. MMMMMM! Oh, and I had a soft pretzel, too! Then we met Rox-Anne and Paul Powondra for dinner at TGI Friday's at Marketfair Mall.

On Tues. I went for lunch to TJ's pizza and met my old friends from Lawrence Road School. We ate there and then went to Judy Gilbert's house for dessert. I can't express how great it was to see everybody...I still love them all and still miss them! While I was there Don went to the Delaware Raritan Canal in Princeton and walked for awhile, then returned to the hotel and order Aljon's for lunch (an Italian hoagie, done as only Aljon's can do)! In the evening we met Kristin Crate, Nick Crate, and Jack and Joan Dye for dinner at Markefair Mall.

We returned to S. Jersey for Weds. morning and went out for lunch with my mother. We surprised my half-sisters Gigi and Arline and they were thrilled. After that we went to Kris' house and we got to see it for the first time and meet our nephew Jake, who is now 4. Then we all went to Karen's for a barbeque which was great. It was wonderful to see all her kids too and of course Jake, Kris' other child. I miss my loved ones! We had a great time celebrating my mother's 80th birthday!

On Thursday we picked up Mom and drove to Aunt Katherine and Uncle Tony's house for lunch. Aunt Essy and Uncle Ray came too and it was a great afternoon.

On Friday we went to Karen's son Steven's baseball game which was really fun. Then we went back to Karen's for more pizza and Kris and her kids came too.

On Saturday we drove to the shore (Beach Haven, on Long Beach Island). That was a highlight of the trip. Don and I really didn't swim much. He found that the water and undertow movement were hard on his balance, and I wanted to go in but was scared to do it. Guess it's been too long since I went to the beach. So we sat at the waterline like two old people and enjoyed the beauty of the ocean. We are getting old.

When we got back we decided to go to Lions Lake and visit the place where my brother Jimmy drowned. I had never been back there since his death in 1955 and really wanted to go. We found a place where we think it might have happened but the lake at that area was so much smaller than I remembered as a 5 year old that we couldn't be certain. There was a concession stand and a small, sandy beach, now grass filled mostly. So I don't know if we got to visit the correct place but it was very peaceful and fulfilling to go to Lions Lake anyway.

On Sunday we went to Sewell Ward with my mother, Karen and Steven. After Sacrament Meeting we had to leave to go to the airport. It was extremely sad and we both hated to leave, but we had to. It was better to get the goodbyes out of the way anyway. It's always so painful to say goodbye.

Our flight home was a nonstop and we made good time. It was nice to be back. Driving home the scenery seemed quite beautiful and we were happy to find our house was ok.

We sure missed Jesse and Karina while we were gone (Lilly too). It really took me a couple of days to get used to being so far from them. We talked to Christie each day while we were gone so it didn't seem like we were far from her at all.

More memories: eating at Boston Market twice, eating at Panara's and Marketplace Mall, millions and millions of trees, very polite people and considerate drivers! Oh, and our new rental car got keyed on both passenger doors while parked at the hotel for the night. That was not fun. That is another story to tell though.

Thanks to Dubby for encouraging me to go. I think I've conquered my fear of planes now...maybe we'll fly down to Arizona to see Christie and Travis in the fall!

4 comments:

Heather H said...

Oh I am so glad that your trip went well!! And I totally understand about appreciating "nice" drivers, it was so weird to go home to Washington and have people happily let you merge when you put on your turn signal.

Joneel said...

Hi Pat, it sounds like your vacation was wonderful. I can so relate to maybe getting past your fear of flying. Since Melissa moved to South Carolina, I've flown there 8 times. It's helped me get past the fear. I'm still a little nervous, but I can do it!!!

Leslie said...

thank you thank you thank you! i will be careful.

we are totally driving to lehi tomorrow just to see christie and haak! WOO HOO! it has been too long. we miss them so much. i thought you would want to know that since you know them.

you are sweet. thanks again.

partypatt said...

Leslie, I hope you see this. It's been so long since I even looked at my blog that I didn't realize you had written a comment, but I'm so excited that you read my blog!!!
I wish I could do a good job like you do though. Hope Aaron had fun with Haak....I hear Haak might be coming to my Kindergarten Enhancement class after Christmas which would be great. Have a Merry Christmas, Leslie!