Saturday, September 5, 2009

Two Baptisms and a Funeral

Today I got to attend two baptisms of former students. Here in Utah all the children in each stake who are eligible for baptism get baptized on the same day (as opposed to NJ where children are baptized as they turn 8, sometimes with other children from the ward whose birthdays fall around the same time). So first I attended a baptism at our stake center for Isaac Selph and then I went to another stake for the baptism of Chip Rodabough. It was so special to be there...their little eyes lit up when they saw me. At Chip's I had a great time as his mother and I are totally best friends (even though she's only like 30) and I know most of the family. Chip was the best behaved 8 year old boy I have ever seen! He was reverent and sweet, and took the whole thing very seriously. Isaac acted like...well...Isaac. LOL. It was so great to sit inside both stake centers and just enjoy the quiet and prelude music, and hear the spiritual talks. Seeing both of those dads first baptize and then confirm their little boys was very touching. Thanks, Selphs and Rodaboughs, for inviting me!

Unfortunately another little child who's story I've been following has died. Little Lucas Nelson was only six months old when he was diagnosed with a brain tumor. He died only three months after diagnosis, and his funeral was today. If you'd like to read his story go to www.nelsonsforever.blogspot.com. I didn't know Lucas or his parents but reading their story made me feel like I did. Please keep his family in your prayers. I can't even imagine what they're going through, but their faith shines through even as they grieve.

Jesse had an interview with Hewlett-Packard yesterday. Interviews these days are done by phone, which is awful, I think. It doesn't really give you a chance to sell yourself. But hopefully he did well. Christie and Travis gave talks last Sunday at church. That was a big deal for Christie and I'm proud of how well she did and how little she stressed out about it beforehand! Lilly started preschool at my school a couple of weeks ago and she is Miss Independent....hasn't even shed a tear yet. She is already able to say some of the Pledge of Allegience, sing the alphabet song that we use, and she seems to love school. Karina is back in school too and working hard to finish her Associate's. Go, Karina! Karina and Jesse are also doing P90X, which is an exercise program that is very hard. They both are looking good!

Don's vision is still the same. It is so sad. It has changed our lives a lot. No more long trips, we have to watch his cholesterol, I have to drive ALL THE TIME and he LOVES to tell me where to go and to watch out for lights and things like that. It's quite a challenge. Please keep him in your prayers. Also, he is not liking certain aspects of his job either so he really needs your prayers to get through each day!

3 comments:

Heather H said...

That is a busy day!

dubby said...

David not being able to drive would be very hard on our marriage. Even though he is pretty blind after 6 pm. I try to travel earlier in the day.

Kathryn said...

It is good to hear about your life and what is happening. I am so bad about blogging, I don't know why I even have one! Anyway...Hope you are still doing well. We hardly ever see or hear from Travis and Christie. I am still busy working at Walgreens and we are grateful everyday that we have jobs. Hang in there. Love, Kathryn